The mobile phones today have become so bigger than never before. There were days when phones were used only for calling purposes. But the phones today are compact with so much additional features and have proved themselves as a multipurpose device. This may be the main reason behind calling them as Smartphone. Also as the phone screen gets bigger and more content becomes available online, many users not only prefer to watch those short YouTube videos but also prefer watching a full two hours long movie on their handsets.
Playing video players have become a major use of phones now days. Apart from other stuff many users spend their most of the time watching movies and videos. Yeah this is surely a good way to enjoy their leisure time. When it comes to video players, there are way too many choices available. Rather it would be an understatement to say that there are rarely any video players available out there and choosing the best player to tackle them all can be a double edged sword. Some users will love to stick to their stock video players while others may want to opt for something loaded with features and capabilities that don’t come on their standard stock players.
Google Play Store is filled with tons of third party video players that offer some breath taking and cool touch gesture features. Choosing the perfect one from them is surely a tough task. Moreover, sometimes your stock player isn’t capable of supporting all file formats. To overcome this, we have listed a few video players that are worth trying. Install and try them as all of them are the most preferred & downloaded players.
MX video player is currently the only app on android market which can play a huge number of video formats. Some of which are mentioned below: 3gp, avi, divx, flv, mkv, mp4, mpeg, mov, vob, wmv, webm etc. The main benefit of MX player is that is not only reads omnivorous formats or has CPU optimization of sales but along with that it highly supports different codec and renderer optimized for processors NVIDIA, Tegra and ARM, NEON which of course will never affect the quality of the video being played.
- Hardware acceleration: A new Hardware decoder has been added to boost the hardware acceleration for playing various videos.
- Multi-core decoding: It highly supports multi-core decoding which has made it the only Android video player to do so. It has been tested on dual core devices which further have concluded that it can show 70% improvement on single core devices.
- Pinch to zoom- just by pinching the video you can zoom it. This way you can set the video size the way you want it. By pinching in, you can zoom out the video and vice-versa.
- Swipe for more controls: just like pinching, swiping across the video can apply certain controls over the video. By swiping on left side of video, the brightness can be controlled. While swiping on the right will adjust the volume. These standard controls can only be observed in this app and no elsewhere.
- Subtitle scroll- It always ruins our mood when the subtitles and the playback videos are not matched. At such times this feature will help you allot. You just need to scroll on the subtitle text to adjust the playback position for matching the previous or next subtitle timing. In this way the subtitles can be scrolled to move back and forth in either way.
- Kids lock- sometimes when kids are watching a video, they can ruin the whole entertainment by clicking anywhere across the screen. This can not only interrupt the video but also can open any app or make a call. But with this feature you no more need to worry about the kids (plug-in required).
Download MX player
- Better subtitle readability: with thick border and shadow around the text the subtitle readability can be increased.
Next in our list is Real Player which is one of the most popular video players for Android and is commonly famous for playing music and videos without any ads. This all in one media player handles all kind of media types including mp3, mp4, Youtube videos and many other formats. The app is functional and nice enough look wise. The usability tweak I liked is to make the artist and album info in track linked, so you could quickly browse the related music. Some amazing features include an equalizer, auto bookmarking of videos and playlists for a personalized music experience. Many of its features are listed below.
Download Real Player
- Online video search that searches YouTube, Bing and other sites.
- Can set your favorite song as your ringtone.
- Has home screen widget to control media.
- Graphic equalizer with ability to save custom settings.
- No advertisements. Available in nine different languages.
- Auto bookmarking of videos is possible. Accept voice commands for searching videos.
- Shows videos, music and photos all in one place.
- Meta data discovery using the Grace note database.
- Optimized graphics for high resolution videos.
- Can control playback when phone is locked.
- Real Audio and real Video support.
- Can share videos on social networking sites like facebook and twitter.
There are various video player apps that guarantee to handle any file format but are not worth it. After intense research on video players we have come up with Mobo Player app, which surely has the capability to handle any kind of file format. It is developed by Mobo Team and stands out the best from the rest as it supports almost all common video formats, subtitles as well as HTTP streaming. Just make sure to choose the software decoding mode for playing them.
As soon as you launch, this app will show you a grid of static thumbnails. It has a clean looking and easy to use interface which will directly take you to players’ menus. There are codecs available provided by the developers that match your device hardware for giving the best video experience. These codecs can be easily downloaded from Google play store.
- Support almost all video formats. For that you need to choose software decoding mode in most cases
- Thumbnail displays of videos.
- Subtitles built in MKV, MPV and MOV.
- Support multi audio streams and multi subtitles.
- Support subtitle formats such as SRT, ASS and SAA.
- Playlists and continuous play on same kind of files.
- Videos streamed through HTTP, RTSP protocols.
The developers have provided many customization options. This is one of the most popular video playback apps available out there. There are options to change the background color of the main screen to any color of your choice. It has a floating window which shows on your home screen what is currently playing on your device. The size of floating window can be varied as per your choice. Just press your device home button while the video is running, to view the floating window. All these features make this app a worth usable.
Download Mobo Player
This is another worth trying app which comes with hardware accelerated video playback along with dual and quad-core decoding support which helps to fasten the playback speed and thus reduces battery consumption. This app is available in both free and paid versions. It has a unique feature of automatically searching subtitles for a running video. It’s obvious that you need to have mobile data or Wi-Fi enabled for the same.
After launching of Android 4.3, the developers of BSPlayer had to update this app as there was no support for the new Google operating system. So now this app works well with all Android versions. The subtitle download feature available can directly download the subtitles for any required foreign movie.
- Multi-core i.e. dual and quad-core hardware decoding support.
- It uses code of FFmpeg licensed under the LGPLv2.1.
- Support multiple audio streams and subtitles.
- Support external and embedded subtitles like ssa, ass, srt, sub.
- Support playlist and various playback modes.
- Support for almost all media files including avi, divx, mov, mkv, mts, mp4, mpg, m4v, 3gp, wmv and streaming content such as http and rtsp.
- Playback files directly from uncompressed rar files.
- Playback media files directly from your LAN shared drives or folders such as external USB drives, PC shared folders and NAS servers, thus no need to convert video files or copy the files to SDcard.
BS Player lite version is ad-supported while the Pro version is without ad and has some awesome features like touchscreen gestures, aspect ratio adjustments, zoom and much more. If you face any trouble regarding this app then you can send all the detailed bug report regarding the same via email on email@example.com.
This is another popular media player app among Android users with a solid and consistent video playback. As soon as you launch the app, it will automatically detect all the video containing folders on your SDcard. Though the overall appearance and look of the app is not so worth but still there are a lot more features that hide this common drawback. With this app, it’s easy to watch the YouTube videos directly by copying their link in VPlayer.
Its plus point is its hardware accelerated decoding and rendering to HD for MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV, M4V and 3GP. It has a great battery life manager that helps the app to consume less battery power. All the videos stored on your device will be shown in the library section of the app, so that it’ll be easy for you to access them faster than ever.
- Support all formats including avi, mov, mkv, flv, 3gp, asf, mp4, wmv, m4v, tp, ts, mtp, m2t.
- Can directly watch videos from YouTube and Vimeo.
- Works with any custom ROMS and user interface.
- Support subtitles including ssa and ass.
- Can transport and play video data via http, rtpp, rtsp, rtmp, mms and http live streaming.
- Multiple subtitles supported.
- Can play videos from facebook, dropbox, gmail, dvr while using the NAS, Wi-Fi or DLNA connections.
- Unicode/Multi-byte charset supported.
- MKV subtitle extraction supported.
- Supports dual core devices thus playing 720p and 1080p videos.
- Increased subtitle readability with thicker border and shadow around the text.
Download and try each of these media players and do tell us your views and issues regarding them, of course through the comment section below.