Everyone knows that Google released their newly launched Android 4.4 KitKat update for many Nexus devices. It was expected that this latest firmware will be released for all brands of handsets, of course for only those having good hardware specs. But unfortunately only a few were lucky enough to get this dream come true. Sony Xperia Ray is one of those devices to get Android 4.4 KitKat update unofficially. By following our article given below you can easily update your Xperia ray to Android 4.4 KitKat using Carbon Custom ROM.
With this Carbon ROM you will able to experience all new KitKat features including refurnished home screen, new dialer app, KitKat customization features, battery saving tweaks, amazing themes, CPU governor, low memory management support, completely new gallery look, advanced keyboard, and much more on your device.
Despite this, it should be noted that this unofficial build is currently in working stage, which means there are still bugs that are yet to be fixed. It is expected that all the bugs and issue to be fixed as the development progresses. If you’re still interested in installing the latest Carbon ROM running on the newly launched Android 4.4 KitKat version on your Sony Xperia Ray then proceed to the further article given below.
Disclaimer: Preform everything given below at your own risk. If by mistake anything happens to your Xperia Ray then neither we nor the developers will be responsible for that. Although the chances are very less that your device will get damaged but still we strongly recommend you to read, follow and attempt all the instructions properly without performing anything by your own.
Download links and steps involved in this article are intended only for Sony Xperia Ray ST18i / ST18a (urushi). Performing it on some other device may cause failure. So, before moving further, check your device’s model number from ‘Settings –> About Phone’.
How to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Sony Xperia Ray
- Make sure that your device is charged at least up to 70% so that it won’t get turn off during the flashing process.
- For improving your battery life, follow this guide:
- How to Improve Battery Life of an Android Device (Tips).
- Also we highly recommend you to backup all your Phone data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS and call logs etc. to external memory card since it gets wiped in the last step of procedure.
- For backing up Contacts & Messages, use this article:
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- For backing up Call logs, APNs & EFS folder, use this article:
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- Your phone should be running Android 4.0.4 ICS (4.1.B.0.587) firmware.
- Bootloader of your phone needs to be unlocked. If you haven’t unlocked it yet then follow the instructions given here.
- Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod is must for Carbon ROM installation. Use RecoverX tool to flash custom recovery (CWM) on your device.
Download all above files on PC. Using a USB cable, connect your phone to computer and place ROM & Google Apps files on root of sdcard. Disconnect the phone.
Procedure to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat using Clockworkmod Recovery
- Enter into fastboot mode on phone. To do so, first switch off the phone. Then by holding Volume up button, connect it PC.
- Extract Fastboot files zip package on PC using 7 zip or WinRAR software.
- Open ROM package. From its root directory, extract ‘boot.img’ file to any convenient location. Now move ‘boot.img’ to extracted folder of fastboot files.
- Open fastboot files folder & double click on ‘runme.lnk’. This will open a command prompt window.
- Type these 2 commands in command prompt window:
fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0xfce reboot
- While the phone reboots, press ‘Volume up’ button for few times to open recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select ‘backup and restore’ –> ‘backup’ to make a nandroid backup of your current ROM / Firmware. For more info on Nandroid backup, refer this article.
- Once the backup is done, return back to main menu and select ‘wipe data / factory reset’ option.
- For ROM installation, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ –> ‘choose zip from sdcard’. Navigate to ROM file & select it. Confirm the installation by pressing on ‘Yes – Install ____’
- To install Google Apps, repeat above step. Just instead of choosing ROM file, select Google Apps package.
- By using back button, return to main menu of recovery and select ‘reboot system now’ to restart the phone. First boot may take up to 5 minutes. So, stay calm & relax!
There you go! Android 4.4.2 KitKat based Carbon ROM is now up and running on your Sony Xperia Ray smartphone. Let us know how the ROM is working for you.
If you have any questions or need our assistance in any case then don’t hesitate to comment below. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Happy KitKat flashing. Enjoy!
Source: XDA Forum
The following two tabs change content below.
Viraj was a former chief editor at Android Legend. He no longer works here. But no worries you can still get in touch with him via his Google+