There is one advantage of having Samsungs Android smartphone. You always have option to choose between TouchWiz and AOSP look. I know this can be done with any other branded phone but dont you think that TouchWiz is something special than the other launchers (or what other manufacturers offer).
Now you might be wondering how AOSP i.e. pure Android interface can be installed on your Sprint Galaxy Note 2. Of course the answer is Custom ROMs. Through custom ROM like AOKP, Cyanogenmod, ParanoidAndroid etc. you can get pure Android experience right on your Galaxy Note 2.
AOKP Build 6 is based on Android 4.2.2. It offers lots of customization along with the original OS. Like you can overlock / undervolt your phone with the help of a Custom kernel. It has all the features that Google offers in Android 4.2.2. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead & download one for your Sprint Galaxy Note 2.
So, lets begin with the tutorial on how to upgrade Sprint Galaxy Note SPH-L900 to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP Build 6 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The tutorial given below is considered as risky and may cause damage to phone if it is not followed properly. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Follow all the steps completely at your own risk. We or AOKP team are not responsible for any damage cause to your device after implementing these steps.
This tutorial is meant only for Sprint Galaxy Note 2 having model number SPH-L900. Dont try to implement it on Galaxy Note 2 N7100 or on any other device else it may turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can flash ROM without any interruption.
- Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage like SD card). Therefore, it is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal storage (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.).
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
(Important!) It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing AOKP Custom ROM.
Note: You can’t proceed to ROM installation unless you’ve CWM / TWRP / or any other recovery installed in your Galaxy Note 2 L900
Procedure to Upgrade Sprint Galaxy Note SPH-L900 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean (via AOKP Build 6):
- At first, download AOKP package from the link is below.
- Sprint Galaxy Note 2 SPH-L900 AOKP Build 6 Package
- (Optional) Also download GApps that contains Google apps like Gmail, GTalk, Play store, Google+ etc. Since AOKP doesn’t include Google apps, you need to flash it separately.
- GApps for Android 4.2.2
- After downloading AOKP ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode on it to access internal storage & transfer both files on its root directory (or anywhere you want. We have mentioned ‘root directory’ because it is convenient to access).
- Disconnect the phone from PC. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For doing that, switch off the phone completely. Now press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down Button + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery, select it & then choose backup option to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the phone memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from phone (ROM memory), which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal storage of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Yeah! You’ve successfully updated your Sprint Galaxy Note 2 L900 to Android 4.2.2 via AOKP Build 6 Custom ROM. If you’ve any queries or need help regarding the procedure mentioned above, feel free to ask it in comments below & we’ll help you to solve your issue as soon as possible. Enjoy..
Tip: If you don’t like this ROM (I know you’ll like it but still…), you always have an option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you like to restore (or restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
The following two tabs change content below.
Hello everyone, I'm Viraj, the chief editor at Android Legend. When I'm not checking out the latest stuff happening in Android, I mostly spend my time flashing different ROMs, testing Android apps & games. Feel free to join me on Google+