Back in 2012, Sony launched new series of Xperias. Few of them were high end devices (Xperia S, Xperia ion), some were middle range phones (Xperia Sola, Xperia U, Xperia P) & rest was low end devices (Xperia Tipo, Xperia Go). All these devices were launched with Gingerbread 2.3.7 on board (Xperia Tipo is exceptional). After a month or two, Sony rolled out ICS update for its flagship devices & subsequently for middle range devices. As we all know that theyve taken a bit long time to release ICS updates, it may not be tolerable. But anyways, finally its out.
Sony started upgrading Xperia U ST25i to ICS in September12. At first, they rolled out 6.1.1.B.1.10 firmware for all the devices. Now by fixing the bugs & issues like random lag & resource management, theyve pushed another ICS update with 6.1.1.B.1.54 firmware for India region. But with Flashtool (firmware flashing tool for all Xperias), you can apply it to any unbranded / unlocked Xperia U worldwide.
Android 4.0.4 ICS update has improved performance & stability over Gingerbread. Along with that many interesting features like face unlock are also added. ICS was one of the revolutionary update from Google & Sony has taken it to the higher level.
In this article we are going to discuss how you can upgrade your Sony Xperia U ST25i to 6.1.1.B.1.54 ICS 4.0.4 firmware.
Disclaimer : Steps given in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. We won’t be held responsible if you damage your device while following this guide.
This guide must be applied only on Sony Xperia U ST25i. Dont try to implement it on Xperia P / Xperia Sola or on any other device else it can turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your phone at least up to 75% battery level.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage).
Procedure to Upgrade Sony Xperia U ST25i to Official Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware (6.1.1.B.1.54):
- Download Xperia Flashtool from here. Well be using it for flashing the firmware.
- Download Xperia U ST25i Official Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware package (6.1.1.B.1.54) from here.
- Update 1 (6.1.1B.1.89): Download (Don’t extract)
- Update 2 (6.1.1.B.1.100): Download
- Install Flashtool that you’ve just downloaded in your computer. For the sake of convenience, install it in root directory of C: drive.
- Extract ICS firmware package, you’ll get ST25i_4.0.4_Indian Firmware.ftf file on your extracted location.
- Navigate to C: –> Flashtool –> Firmwares and delete all the data over there if anything is present.
- Now move ST25i_4.0.4_Indian Firmware.ftf file in the above mentioned directory.
- Open Xperia Flashtool. Select Flash option (Black Bolt icon) from the top left corner of the tool (Refer to image given below).
- It will ask you to select either Flashmode or Fastboot mode. Select Flashmode & proceed further by hitting OK button.
- On next screen, Firmware selection window will appear. On left side, select ST25i (version 6.1.1.B.1.54 / .89 / .100).
- On right side of the tool, tick following 4 options (Caution! Dont tick any other option than 4 mentioned below).
- Wipe data.
- Wipe cache.
- Wipe apps log.
- No final verification.
- Press OK. Wait for Flashtool to prepare firmware installation.
- Now, it will ask you to connect your phone. Before you connect your phone to computer, enter into Flashmode on it. To do so, switch off the phone completely. By holding Volume down key, connect it to PC. If done correctly, you should see a green light on the power.
- After establishing proper connection with the computer, flashing process will start. Firmware installation process may get stuck around 93%, which is normal. It stays there for 20-30 seconds and not more than that.
- Once you get Flashing finished message in Flashtool, remove your phone from PC & wait for it to reboot (It may take more time than usual for booting the device, which is normal. So don’t get panic & be patient).
Thats it! You have successfully updated Xperia U ST25i to Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware. Now in case if you need any help while flashing firmware, do comment below. Well try our best to sort out the same.
The following two tabs change content below.
Hello everyone, I'm Viraj, the chief editor at Android Legend. When I'm not checking out the latest stuff happening in Android, I mostly spend my time flashing different ROMs, testing Android apps & games. Feel free to join me on Google+