Till now Samsung has not announced ICS/JB updates for Galaxy S Plus but no need to worry about it. As Android is an open source OS & hence it can be customized the way you want it to be. And by taking advantage of this thing, XDA Senior Member Doomsday94 has ported Cyanogenmod 10 over Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-i9001 bringing all new Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean to your phone.
Cyanogenmod 10 is one of the famous custom ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. It includes many impressive features such as buttery smooth interface (project butter), offline voice typing, actionable notifications, smarter keyboard, Google now, faster browsing experience etc. Along with these thing, CM10 brings you faster performance & lot more customization options as well..
Keep in mind that this is not an official update released by Samsung. It is a custom ROM that is not fully functional yet. Therefore, it may have some bugs present, which can make your phone unstable. Also being a custom ROM, Samsung specific functions will not be available.
Below is the list of working/non working things (quoted by the developer on Official ROM development page):
-Video (sometimes youtube crashes)
-Receiving and making calls
-USB mass storage
-HW accelerated gui
-HW accelerated video
-60% project butter
-full butter experience
-many other things
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article is risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor ROM developer should be held responsible for it.
Please note that, this tutorial is applicable only for Samsung Galaxy S Plus bearing model number GT-i9001. DONT try this on Galaxy S I9000 or on any other device, it can cause damage to your phone.
- Make sure that your phone is charged at least up to 70% so that installation procedure wont be interrupted.
- It is better to backup your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since it will get wipe during the installation.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- (Important) Before flashing this ROM, ensure that your phone has custom recovery like Clockworkmod or TWRP installed on it. This guide assumes that you’ve installed Clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-i9001 with Cyanogenmod 10 custom ROM:
- Download latest build of CM10 ROM from official development page.
- Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) are not pre-installed in this ROM. You have to download & flash it manually. Download GApps from the link given below.
- Google Apps (for Jelly Bean based custom ROMs)
- Now connect your phone to the computer, enable mass storage mode and transfer ROM file & GApps package to your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now, boot your device into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Power Key together until “Android in a box” appears. Now press Home button to enter into the Clockworkmod recovery.
- After getting into the recovery mode, take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, select Backup and Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card).
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches respectively from the phone memory.
- Now select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate to CM10 ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier to the SD card). Select it and press yes button to confirm the installation. Wait until ROM gets installed.
- After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard“. This time scroll down to “gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip” file. Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After successful installation of ROM & GApps, press on reboot system now to restart the phone.
Note: If you want to restore your previous ROM, you can do this by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, select Backup and Restore option & on next screen, select restore. Now choose the backup you would like to restore.
Congratulations !! You’ve successfully installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM – Cyanogenmod 10 on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-i9001. For more information & future updates, visit official ROM development page. Also do let us know how the ROM is working for you.
Latest posts by Viraj Kshatriya (see all)
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat update makes its way to Xperia M via HellKat ROM - February 24, 2014
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update now available for Sony Xperia Ray - February 10, 2014
- Update Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat via Carbon ROM - February 5, 2014