Being dual core processor running device, Motorola Droid RAZR hasn’t got latest Android 4.1 update yet & who knows, will it be getting Jelly Bean or not. Since Motorola hasn’t announced any further updates. But don’t worry, since Android is open source platform, anyone can modify original source code to make a custom ROM (Not anyone but the experienced people). By taking the advantage of this thing, XDA Senior Member wanggjghost has ported Cyanogenmod 10 which is a custom ROM based on latest Android 4.1 i.e. Jelly Bean sources. We are really thankful for his efforts to make this possible.
Cyanogenmod 10 comes with all the goodness of Jelly Bean & there are some attractive features like project butter, smart keyboard, improved notification interface etc. it works very smooth & fast.
But you should take a note that the ROM is not fully developed yet & it may contain several bugs therefore it depends on your comfortableness to use it for the daily use or not. Checkout the list of working / non working things which is given below (Quoted on official development page):
Disclaimer : The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Please note that the CM10 update is applicable only for Motorola Droid RAZR (GSM variant). DON’T try it on Verizon/Rogers variant or any other device or it may result in bricked phone.
Procedure to Update Motorola Droid RAZR to Jelly Bean with Cyanogenmod 10:
- Before proceeding to the actual installation procedure, ensure that you have rooted your device & installed custom recovery on it (CWM preferred). Please note that this step is very essential to install Cyanogenmod 10 on your Motorola Droid RAZR.
- Download the CM10 package from the link given below :
- CM10 Package
- (Optional) Download Google Add-on Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which are not present in ROM by default.
Google Apps (Jelly Bean).
- After downloading CM10 & Kernel, connect your device to PC. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now transfer CM10 package & Google Apps to your device’s SD card by using the USB cable.
- Now disconnect the phone from computer. You then need to boot in recovery mode. To do so, switch off the device, press & hold Volume Down + Volume Up + Power key together.
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- After successfully backup, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier to your SD card) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
(Optional) The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps. (Just don’t do the above step i.e, wiping data after installation of Gapps). After you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to main menu of CWM.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode to Restart the phone.
- First boot after flashing a new ROM takes some time than the usual so be patient there.
There you go..!! Your Motorola Droid RAZR is now running latest Android 4.1 Jell bean. Share your thoughts with us about this newly installed ROM & if you need any help, comment it below, we will be there to help you out.
Don’t Forget to check official development page for more updates & new builds. Enjoy !!