AOKP is one of the best custom ROM which offers several customization functions & advanced features. Now such a great ROM is out for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which is based on latest Android version i.e, Jelly Bean. Thanks to XDA Senior Member scottx . who has put his efforts & bring out the taste of Jelly bean for Galaxy Tab Owners.
Since ROM is still under development, full customization options may not be available which you might be observing in stable AOKP builds & also it may contain several bugs which can make the ROM unstable for the daily use. But anyways, it is always good to have something than nothing. So keep going further for the installation procedure mentioned in the due course of this article.
(Keep in mind, this is not an official firmware update which Samsung provides but it is a custom ROM based on latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean).
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are completely unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
Note that, AOKP ROM update mentioned in this guide is only applicable for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 bearing model number GT-P5113. Please DON’T try this on other variants of Galaxy Tab 10.1 or on any other device, it may cause damage to your phone.
Pre-Requisites before installing Jelly Bean based Custom ROM update :
- Charge your device upto 60% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- You will have to wipe all the data (excluding SD card) before installing this custom ROM update. Therefore it is highly recommended to Backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
- (Important) In order to install AOKP custom ROM, it is mandatory to have custom recovery (Clockworkmod) installed on your Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113 with AOKP Custom ROM :
- Download latest version AOKP ROM from the official development page (link is mentioned below) :
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your tab to PC. Enable mass storage mode to access SD card data. Transfer both the files on it.
- Disconnect the tablet from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, switch off the tab completely. Press & hold Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung Tab 2 10.1 logo appears but keep holding volume down until recovery mode shows up).
- After getting into CWM recovery, first & very essential step you need to do is to take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery menu & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” & then “choose zip from sdcard“. Select the ROM file from the location where you’ve transferred it earlier & select Yes to flash the ROM.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- Again select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard” & this time navigate Google apps package containing file (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install Google Apps.
- After finishing all these steps, Select reboot system now to Restart the tab.
There you go !! Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Wi-Fi P5113 is now running Jelly bean (Android 4.1) in the form of AOKP custom ROM. Keep visiting the official development page for the latest updates & if you have any issue regarding the procedure, comment it below, we will try our best to fix the same as quick as possible.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above). From the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose the backup you would like to restore.
Latest posts by Viraj Kshatriya (see all)
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat update makes its way to Xperia M via HellKat ROM - February 24, 2014
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update now available for Sony Xperia Ray - February 10, 2014
- Update Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat via Carbon ROM - February 5, 2014