Recently Samsung has announced official Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S Advance users. But still it will take a lot of time before it is actually rolled out by Samsung. Not to worry because you have a variety of custom ROMs which you can install. Also custom ROMs are famous for their highly customizable features. But you need custom recoveries to install custom ROMs.
TWRP recovery is a custom recovery and it is getting famous over CWM these days. It has fully touch interface and many other great features. You can flash various ROMs, do Wipe Data/Factory Reset and backup your whole ROMs using nanroid backup with this recovery. Further in this tutorial, easy steps are given which you can follow to install TWRP Recovery on your device.
Disclaimer: The procedure discussed further in this article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. You should not go for it if you are unaware of things discussed in it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only for Samsung Galaxy S Advance having model number GT-I9070. Trying it on other variants or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
Note: Since this TWRP recovery is a modded Gingerbread Kernel, it won’t work with Jelly Bean Firmwares.
- Battery of your phone must be at least 70% charged in order to have uninterrupted installation process.
- It is recommended to take a backup of all important data like SMS/MMS, APN, contacts etc. since it can be restored back if anything goes wrong during the installation.
- In order to use USB debugging mode on your phone, device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. You can install the same by installing Samsung Kies. To download it manually,click here.
Procedure to Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S Advance GT-I9070:
- Download flashing program (Odin Multi Downloader v3.04) & TWRP Recovery Package from the links mentioned below :
- Extract TWRP Recovery (GT-I9070-GB_TWRP-KERNEL-DiegoCH.rar) in your computer. You’ll find GT-I9070_GB_TWRP_KERNEL.tar.md5 in your extracted folder.
- Now switch off your phone. In order to flash the firmware, you need to enter into the downloading mode. Downloading mode can be entered by Holding Power Key+Volume Down Button+Home Button simultaneously.
- After entering into the downloading mode, you’ll see “Downloading..” text in yellow. Keeping your phone in downloading mode, connect it to the PC.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader which you’ve just downloaded. If your device is properly connected then you’ll see that the ID:COM section has been turned yellow. (If it is not then you need to install proper drivers of your phone OR simply install Samsung Kies from the CD which you’ve got at the time of purchase).
- In Odin, select PDA & choose GT-I9070_GB_TWRP_KERNEL.tar.md5 file. Keep all the remaining things as it is.
- Important!!Make sure that Re-Partition check box is not selected.
- Now simply press Start button to initiate flashing process. It will hardly take 6-7 Minutes to get over.
- As soon as Odin finished the process, ID:COM section will turn Green & will show Pass in the box above ID:COM section.
- Disconnect your Device from PC.
- Turn off it again since whole procedure isn’t over yet. Now you need to enter into Recovery mode. The same can be entered by Holding Volume Up + Home Key + Power Button simultaneously.
- In the Recovery mode, select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition. You have to use Volume Up/Down keys to highlight those options & Home button to select them.
- After wiping data, select reboot system now to Restart the Phone. Usually first boot take some time after flashing firmware so be patient. As soon as device gets rebooted successfully , you’ll land in TouchWiz Home Screen.
- If at any stage Odin gets stuck or you get FAILED message disconnect your phone from PC. Close Odin software. Remove the battery from phone and re-insert it. Again go into downloading mode and follow same procedure.
There you go!! You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S Advance. Now you can flash various custom ROMs on your phone.Do let us know how it is working for you. If you have got any doubt, feel free to ask it in the comments below. We will try our best to solve it.
Latest posts by Shreyas Khare (see all)
- Leaked Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware for AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 - January 30, 2014
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 via Cyanogenmod 11 - January 24, 2014
- Update Xperia P ST22i to Android 4.4 KitKat via Cyanogenmod 11 - December 19, 2013