Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Sony Xperia M is rolled out now. You can enjoy and experience all the newly launched KitKat flavored features on your device. Xperia M launched in August 2013 had much noticeable features including 1 GHz dual-core processor, 1 GB RAM, 4 GB internal storage and 5 megapixel rear camera with LED flash. It was launched with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean version. All these amazing features made this device to increase its popularity within a few weeks after its release. Along with that its grand RAM and hardware compatibility makes it easy to run any later launched version on it. In this article we will discuss a complete procedure on how to update Xperia M to the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat via HellKat ROM.
All thanks goes to recognized XDA contributor DerTeufel1980, with additions from TheDude. This ROM has got everything that will make your slow laggy device a much more usable. Its beautiful user interface, blazing speed, smart dialing apps, great battery life and customizations will surely win your heart. Some of its features are listed below. Check them out.
- Linaro optimizations.
- Fully configurable quick settings.
- Transparent notifications.
- Screen Recorder.
- Build Prop mods.
- Screen ON notification light.
- Expandable desktop.
- Density Changer.
- 18 Init.d Scripts from Beanstalk.
- Customizable button layout.
- New lock-screen widgets.
- Battery saving tweaks.
- Five target lockscreen shortcuts.
- Added list view animations.
You must note that this is not an official firmware but a custom ROM which will void your device warranty. Also we remind you that this build is in working stage. So you might face few bugs while using it. But in the coming weeks, the ROM will get evolve and lot of addition will be made to fix these issues. Interested users may proceed to the actual article given below.
Disclaimer: Firstly we remind you that this process is unsafe and can cause severe damage to your mobile if not attempted properly. Those who are new to this stuff must stop right at this point. Although the chances of damage or bricked device are least still if such thing happens then neither we nor the developers will be responsible.
This guide is intended only for Sony Xperia M C1904 / C2004. Flashing it any other device may lead to unwanted outcomes.
To be specific, this ROM is compiled for Xperia M C1904 (single SIM). But if you want to make it work on Dual SIM variant i.e, C2004 then first flash Single SIM Xperia M’s ftf using a flashtool method. Note that after flashing this firmware, you will lose the Dual SIM functionality.
- Make sure you have charged your device battery at least up to 70% so as to minimize the risk of interruption during the ROM flashing process.
- Backup all your important data and settings present on your phone including your Contacts, SMS/MMS, APN settings, Call-logs etc. and copy it on your PC for more safety. This is highly recommended as all the data needs to get wiped in the last step of this procedure.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs & APNs from your Android Device.
- How to backup Notes and Memos for an Android device.
- (Important) Your device should have an unlocked bootloader. You can unlock it from here. Please note that by unlocking bootloader, your device warranty will get void. Also, you’ll lose all the data after unlocking it.
Note: If you want to retain the warranty in future, you’ll have to re-lock the bootloader. For doing so, backup TA partition before you unlock the bootloader.
- (Important) Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod is necessary to flash HellKat ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet then refer recovery installation section of this guide.
Files required to flash HellKat are given below.
Download all above files & save them on PC. Connect your phone to computer & transfer HellKat ROM & Google Apps package to its storage memory. After copying files, disconnect the phone.
Procedure to Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat ROM on Xperia M
For HellKat ROM installation, you’ll have to flash a recovery first & then the ROM. In following guide, we’ve separated both sections to make it more easy.
- Extract Fastboot package in a specific folder and move ‘elixer-repacked.img’ (Recovery + kernel image) to that folder. Now the folder should contain total 6 files.
- Enter into fastboot mode of your phone. To do so, switch off the phone. By holding ‘Volume up’ of your phone, connect it to PC. Make sure to connect the other end of USB cable to PC first. Now your Xperia M should be in fastboot mode & its LED should turn blue.
- Double click on runme.lnk file from the extracted folder (folder of 6 files). It will open a command prompt window. Now enter the following commands in command prompt. The first one will flash a kernel containing a recovery.
fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot elixer-repacked.img
fastboot -i 0xfce reboot
- The phone will reboot after entering a second command.
- For ROM installation, you’ll need to boot into recovery mode. To do so, switch off the phone. While the phone reboots, repeatedly press or hold Volume up button. Now your device is in recovery mode.
Note: While in recovery mode, use Volume buttons for up / down & power key for selection.
- In recovery, select ‘backup and restore’ –> ‘backup’ to make a nandroid backup of your current ROM / Firmware. To know more about Nandroid backup, refer this article.
- Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option to erase all the data from phone memory.
- Select ‘install zip from sdcard’ –> ‘choose zip from sdcard’ & navigate to the ROM file. Select ROM file by pressing power button (unless you are using a touch enabled recovery). Confirm the installation by pressing on ‘Yes – Install ____’.
- After installing the ROM, flash the Google Apps package using a same method that you performed for ROM installation.
- Finally select ‘reboot system now’ to restart the phone. First boot may take up to 5 minutes, so be patient!
And it’s done! You’ve successfully flashed Android 4.4.2 KitKat based HellKat ROM on your Xperia M smartphone. Let us know how the ROM is doing for you. If you need any help then don’t hesitate to drop a comment below. We’ll be glad to hear from you.
Tip: If you want to remove this ROM & want your previous ROM back then boot into recovery mode & select ‘backup and restore’ –> ‘restore’ option.
Credits: Recovery & Kernel, HellKat ROM
The following two tabs change content below.
Hello everyone, I'm Viraj, the chief editor at Android Legend. When I'm not checking out the latest stuff happening in Android, I mostly spend my time flashing different ROMs, testing Android apps & games. Feel free to join me on Google+