Samsung Galaxy Y is one of the most famous Android phones which has a processor of 832Mhz. The device running on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread is not upgraded to latest Android version. But unofficially several custom ROMs available for it and you might have tasted it.
Many users root their mobile to increase performance of their mobile. But actually it just gives us the access to the system files. In order to increase the performance, custom kernel can be flashed. One of the senior members of XDA-Devlopers has compiled Axiom kernel for Galaxy Y which possess overclocking feature.
After flashing this Axiom kernel, you can change the clock frequency of CPU up to 1248Mhz with the help of app called set cpu. Of course it will drain the battery faster than usual, but you will definitely sense improvement in the performance. Lets see the steps to install Axiom kernel and to overclock CPU.
Disclaimer: The steps written ahead are considered as risky and can cause damage to your mobile. It is requested that you should not go for it if you are unaware of all these facts. Read the article carefully before executing the steps. We are not responsible for any damage happen to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This custom kernel is compatible only for Samsung Galaxy Y with model number S5360. Dont try it on any other mobile even on Y Duos else you will end up with some undesired results.
Note: Flashing the custom kernel violates the mobile warranty. So think before proceeding further. Of course it can be restored by flashing stock kernel or firmware.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 70% so that installation process wont get interrupted due to low battery.
- It recommended that you should take a backup of all your important data on your mobile like SMS, MMs, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card.
- Enable USB debugging mode on.
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- Your device must be rooted in order to flash any custom kernel.
- Custom recovery Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery must be installed on your mobile. Follow this procedure to flash CWM on Galaxy Y.
Procedure to flash Axiom (Overclocking) custom kernel on Samsung Galaxy Y:
- First of all download Axiom (OC) kernel for Galaxy Y from official development page.
- Axiom (OC) kernel.
- After downloading this file, connect your mobile to PC by connecting USB cable. Copy this kernel file to the external memory. (Dont extract it.)
- Now disconnect your mobile and switched it and boot into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home + power button simultaneously until you boot unto recovery mode.
- It is recommended that you should take a nandroid backup. For that select backup and restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in the external memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to Axiom-1.0.zip file and select it. Confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few minutes for installation. Finally select +++++ go back +++++ and then reboot system now.
Remember! Dont wipe data after flashing this kernel else you will lose data on the internal memory of your phone.
Note: If your mobile gets stuck on the Samsung logo. Dont worry. Remove and re-insert battery and follow the above procedure again.
Procedure to overclock Axiom kernel:
- After rebooting your phone you can check the kernel version by
Setting -> About phone -> Kernel version.
- Now download and install set cpu app from the play store. (Note: It requires root access.)
- Open it and now you can choose any governor for your CPU and scale the frequency of CPU between 104MHz and 1248MHz.
Thats it! You have successfully flashed Axiom OC kernel on your Samsung Galaxy Y. And also overclocked it successfully. Do share your views about this kernel. Ask your queries through the comments. We are always ready to solve your problems.
Tip: If you want to revert back to stock kernel, you can do it by flashing official firmware again.