When I was a newbie to the Android world, I heard lot about custom ROMs. Just like many people, I feared to flash a Custom ROM because it voids the warranty of your phone (though can be retain by flashing official firmware). But still, I dared to install a custom ROM and fortunately it was the AOKP (Android Open Kang Project). At that time, it was based on AOSP Gingerbread. I was just amazed to see lot of customizations & stunning performance. AOKP really gives you the feel of custom OS that is tweaked for performance improvements and many other things. Thereafter, I decided not to flash any Official firmware & up till now I haven’t flashed it.
Current version of Android is 4.2.2. Unfortunately, AOKP team hasn’t compiled & merged the code with AOSP yet. But though AOKP is slow in releasing ROMs that are based on latest Android versions, they provide the quality ROMs with their own control panel. Recently AOKP has released JB-MR1 Build 3 which is based on AOSP Android 4.2.1.
As per the AOKP’s Official site, bluetooth isn’t working in this build.This may be a sad news for some users but don’t worry they gonna fix it in upcoming release. I have got one good news too- AOKP has made many changes & added several new features in build 3 over previous one. List is given below. Let’s just check it out first:
- UI mode selector Phone / Phablet / Tablet
- Transparency control for all the things!
- Dual panel at any DPI
- Car Home is back
- Allow timeout / instant lock for Slide
- Quick unlock (PIN/password can unlock without pressing enter)
- Hiding NavBar if you enable this, NavBar wont be visible all the time, you can slide up from the bottom of your screen and it comes back!
- Recents GB style
- Custom icon tint
- Menu UI overflow
- LastApp Toggle
Looks impressive huh? So. let us check out how you can flash / install AOKP JB MR-1 Build 3 on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
Disclaimer : The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor AOKP team should be held responsible for the same.
The guide is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S2 which bears model number GT-i9100. Dont try to implement it on any other device else it can turn in hardware failure of your device.
- Charge your device up to 75% battery level so that you can install the ROM without any interruption.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your phone.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
- It is necessary to have Custom Recovery like Clockworkmod / TWRP installed in your phone for flashing Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM. If you haven’t installed it yet, you can follow this guide for the same.
Procedure to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 to AOKP JB-MR1 Build 3 [Android 4.2.1]:
- Download AOKP JB MR1 Build 3 ROM package from the Here.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps, connect your phone to the PC. Enable mass storage mode to access internal memory & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery. For doing that, switch off the phone completely & wait till it vibrates. Now press & hold Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key together until recovery mode shows up.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that the same can be restored back in case of installation failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option from the main menu of recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & subsequently wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes SMS / MMS, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you all the files & folders located on internal memory of your device. Navigate to the ROM file (which you’ve copied earlier from Computer), select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing both files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the phone.
Tip: Whenever you feel uncomfortable with this ROM, you always have one option to restore your previous ROM. This can be done by using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Congratulations! Your phone is successfully updated to Android 4.2.1 via AOKP (JB-MR1 Build 3) Custom ROM. If you’ve any queries or need help, leave a comment below & we’ll help you to solve your issue. Enjoy..
The following two tabs change content below.
Viraj was a former chief editor at Android Legend. He no longer works here. But no worries you can still get in touch with him via his Google+