Most of the people using Android phones are well aware of Custom ROMs. There may the cons & pros of it but still they fear to flash a modded OS in their phones. Well, they should be afraid as there are chances that their phone will get bricked or they may have to do some complex operations for flashing the same. Moreover, they lose the manufacturer’s warranty (which can be regained back by flashing an Official Firmware. But some of them aren’t aware of this). And there can be many reasons for not flashing a custom ROM.
One of the best profit of having official firmware is that it is less buggy. (since it is tested several times by the manufacturer before they can provide it to their smartphone users). Whereas if you’ve custom ROM installed, there are chances that it might not be stable.
Anyways, from now on, you need not to be relied on custom ROMs because of the fact that Official Android 4.1.2 XXMB2 Jelly Bean firmware is available for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160, leaked though. But its not as risky as any custom ROM. Its for testing purpose and hence you can surely upgrade your phone to this firmware update.
Lets check out how you can upgrade your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 to Official Android 4.1.2 XXMB2 Jelly Bean firmware.
Disclaimer: Steps mentioned in the given article are risky and can cause damage to your phone. It is requested that you should not follow this guide unless you know what you are going to do with your phone. Follow all the steps carefully & at your own risk. We don’t held any responsibility for any damage caused to your phone while / after implementing these steps.
This is an Official firmware released by Samsung and it must be applied only on Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Dont try to flash it on Galaxy S I9000 or on any other device. It may result in sever damage to your phone.
- Charge your phone at least up to 70% so that flashing process wont get interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Your phone data will get lost after installation of this firmware (excluding External storage).
- Device specific drivers must be installed on your computer. If you have installed Kies on computer you dont need to install it separately. If you haven’t installed it yet then you can download it from here.
Steps Required to Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Official XXMB2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware:
- Download XXMB2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware package from here.
- Download Odin Multi Downloader 3.07 (Required for flashing the firmware) from the link given below.
- Odin 3.07
- Extract firmware package (.zip file) to any convenient location on your computer.
- Switch off the phone completely. Enter into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one). While holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the construction Android robot & a yellow triangle.
- Open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer which you’ve just downloaded & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, youll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it. (If your ID:COM box doesnt turn out to be blue, don’t worry. You will need to install proper drivers for your device. For installation of drivers, use the CD you got at the time of purchase & install Kies software from it. You can download kies from here OR you can manually download it from here).
- In Odin, click PDA button and select ‘CODE_I8160XXMB4.tar’ file.
- Click CSC and select ‘CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMB4.tar’ file.
- (Caution!) If you are upgrading from Gingerbread then only perform this step else skip it. Now click PIT and select ‘GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit’. Re-partition box should be checked in options.
- Check Auto Reboot and F. reset time. Keep all the remaining options as they are.
- Hit Start button to initiate the flashing process of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Galaxy Ace 2. When flashing process finishes successfully, youll get “Pass” message with the Green background & device will restart automatically.
- Unplug the device from Computer.
Note: If your phone get stuck or you get a fail message while flashing firmware then Close Odin, disconnect your phone from computer, remove battery and re-insert it and follow the above procedure again.
- Now you will need to factory reset the phone in order to avoid boot loops & malfunctioning of the phone.
- To factory reset, youll have to boot in the recovery mode. The same can be achieved by following some simple steps.
- Switch off the phone (you can do this by removing battery or pressing power button).
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button together & then press Power key. You can release Power button as soon as Samsung logo appears.
- Your device is now booted into recovery mode.
- Since touch wont work in recovery, use Volume up/down & power key only for navigation & selection respectively.
- Now highlight Wipe data/factory reset by using Volume buttons & select it using power key. The same you have to do with Wipe Cache.
- After getting done with all these things, select reboot system now option to restart the phone.
- You may see that the phone is booting slowly than usual but dont worry it’s normal & this happens only for the first time.
Fantastic Job! You’ve successfully installed XXMB2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Do let us know how JB is working on your phone. If youve got any doubt or query, you are most welcome to comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same. Enjoy..!
Source: XDA Forums
The following two tabs change content below.
Viraj was a former chief editor at Android Legend. He no longer works here. But no worries you can still get in touch with him via his Google+