There is no straight way to achieve any good thing in the life. You must have to go though each and every step to obtain the same. Similar thing is applicable in the world of Android. Being an open source platform, Android provides all development flexibility to developers / users in a way such that they can customize their OS as per their requirement. And so the term Custom OS (Custom ROM) does exist in case of Android.
Now, why one should use Custom ROMs? and how he / she can install the same? Well, answer to these two questions is very simple. Many times you realize that your phone is becoming slow or you may get bored by viewing the same UI everyday. Then to improve your device’s speed or change it’s UI completely, you’ve to either uninstall installed apps (for performance improvements) and install some launcher available in Play Store to change the system UI. But again, installing launcher consumes a lot of resources than system used to take before with stock launcher. So, what should do to avoid any of these things? The answer is- flash a Custom ROM like Cyanogenmod & feel the awesomeness. This is the answer what we were looking for our first question. Now, since you can’t install Custom ROMs directly, there has to be some way around. A Custom Recovery is the only way with which you can flash Custom ROMs as well as perform many other actions.
Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) is one of the most famous Custom Recovery used to flash Custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid etc. So, what CWM can do other than flashing Custom ROMs? CWM has many features like- back up & restore, partitioning sd card, Wiping data / factory resetting the phone, Custom kernel / Script installation support, in-build ADB support etc. CWM supports variety of Android devices including Galaxy S2 I9100. Recently XDA Elite Recognized Developer codeworkx has released a latest version of CWM (viz. 126.96.36.199) for international variant of Galaxy S2. You can use the procedure mentioned ahead to flash a Clockworkmod Recovery on your phone. So here it goes-
We have tried our best to make this article perfect. If you’re a beginner and don’t know what Clockworkmod recovery is, then it’s better that first you should research on the same. This guide is intended for advanced users. If you brick your phone by performing the steps given this article, whole responsibility will be yours. We’ll not be responsible for any damage. Although the chances are very low.
The given should be implied only on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. If you aren’t sure about your device, you can check it here:
Home Screen –> Settings –> About device.
However, if you apply it on any other device than the mentioned one, there are high chances that you may end up with boot looping on your phone.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 (International Variant).
- PC / Laptop running Windows Platform.
- USB Cable to establish a connection between the phone & Computer.
- Odin Muti Downloader Tool (link is mentioned in Downloads).
- Odin Flashable CWM .tar package (link is mentioned in Download section).
- It is recommended to charge your device up to 60% battery level (though recovery flashing time is in seconds).
- In order to make the phone recognized by PC (Odin Tool), device specific drivers (Samsung Drivers) are necessary and must be installed in your computer. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies. Download Kies from here. OR Download appropriate device drivers directly from the link mentioned below:
- Samsung USB Drivers for Galaxy S2 I9100
- Disable all security related software (like Antivirus) installed on your PC.
Procedure for Jelly Bean:
- Let’s start with the actual procedure. At first, switch off the phone completely. Boot into download mode. For doing the same, press & hold Volume down + Home button (Middle one) together and while holding both buttons, simply press Power key till you see the warning message appeared on your phone screen. Read / Ignore the warning message & press Volume up button to continue. Finally you’ll see the Green Android robot & downloading… text written below it. This means your device has booted in download mode.
- Now, open Odin Multi Downloader tool on your Computer & connect the phone using USB cable.
- If your phone is connected successfully, you’ll see that the ID:COM section (located at top left) is turned blue with a random COM port number appeared below it (COM Port number is a unique number assigned to a particular USB port). Also, you’ll see “Added” text appeared in message box. If your ID:COM box doesn’t turn into blue then there is a probability that you might not have installed device specific drivers in your PC. Use the link provided in Pre-requisites section to download appropriate drivers for your Galaxy S2,
- In Odin, tick PDA tab & choose “GT-I9100_JB_ClockworkMod-Recovery_188.8.131.52.tar” file. Keep all the remaining options as they are & make sure, you have NOT ticked Re-Partition check box.
- Finally, hit the Start button to initiate the recovery flashing process on your Galaxy S2. Wait for Odin to finish the given task. When flashing process gets done, Odin will display the ‘Pass’ message above ID:COM with a Green colored background & device will boot automatically (only if Auto Reboot option is checked).
- (Conditional) However if flashing process gets stuck in between or you get a fail message then close the Odin window, unplug phone from computer, remove battery &re-insert it and follow the same procedure again.
- Now, unplug the device from Computer (only if you get Pass message in Odin).
- To check if CWM is installed correctly (OR to access CWM), perform these actions on your phone:
- Switch off the phone.
- Press & hold Volume up + Home button and by holding the two, press Power key till you get into Recovery interface.
Procedure for ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich):
- Connect your phone to computer and copy CWM package (for ICS) on external storage of your device (sdcard).
- Now, Switch off the phone completely and boot into stock recovery. To do so, press and hold Volume up + Home button (middle one) + Power key simultaneously. Release Power button as soon as see ‘Samsung Galaxy S2’ splash screen, but keep holding the other two till you get into the recovery mode.
- Since touch doesn’t work in recovery, you’ll have to use Volume rockers for navigation and power button for selection.
- From the menu, select apply update from external storage and then choose the CWM package that you copied earlier. Confirm the installation by pressing on ‘Yes‘.
- Once the installation gets completed, you can boot into CWM anytime you want. Follow the same steps (that you did for stock recovery) to boot into CWM.
Well done! You’ve successfully installed the Clockworkmod Recovery on your Galaxy S2 I9100. Now, there will be no restriction anymore. You can flash any Custom ROM you want (better you should start with Cyanogenmod). If you’ve any questions / problems regarding this procedure then please leave a comment below. We’ll try to answer your query at our level best. Enjoy!
And lastly, don’t forget to +1 this post on Google+.