After receiving a huge response for Galaxy S, Samsung came up with its upgraded version Galaxy S Plus. Despite having better hardware specifications, it didn’t get any software update beyond Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Little unfortunate for such a device. Nevertheless developers has made justice with it by compiling different custom ROMs based on latest Android versions.
Recently Google unveiled latest Android version 4.3 Jelly Bean which is a little improvement over its previous version Android 4.2. Right now only Nexus devices has received this update. And it will take few moths for other devices to receive it. Of course, Galaxy S Plus is not in that list. Don’t be upset. There is another way to get it which is flashing a custom ROM.
One of the most famous custom ROM is Cyanogenmod. You might have tried CM10.1 which is based Android 4.2. Cyanogenmod 10.2, the latest one, is based on Android 4.3 and it is available for Samsung Galaxy S Plus. If you want to get pure AOSP experience then Cyanogenmod is the perfect choice.As CM10.2 is based on Android 4.3, let’s know what new in this version.
The latest version of Android is powered by OpenGL ES 3.0 (high performance graphics) for better gaming experience. Bluetooth smart support, location detection through Wi-Fi, virtual sound surround, new camera app with updated photosphere, easier text input are some features of Android 4.3. All these features are incorporated in Cyanogenmod 10.2 along with typical Cyanogenmod tweaks. Since the ROM is in alpha state, you might found few bugs. Hopefully these will be overcome in future update.
Follow few simple steps written ahead to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Cyanogenmod 10.2 on Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001.
Since the risk is involved in the procedure written ahead, it is suggested that you should not go for it if you are unaware of all these things. It is better if you read the article completely before executing any step. If any damage or brick is caused to your mobile after implementing these steps, we or developers will not be responsible for it.
This unofficial build of Cyanogenmod 10.2 is compatible only for Samsung Galaxy S Plus I9001. Don’t try it on any other variant even on Galaxy S otherwise it will brick permanently. Check your device model number as follows.
Settings -> about device -> model number
Note: Flashing custom ROM on your device voids the warranty so be careful before proceeding ahead. Of course it can be retained afterwards by flashing official firmware.
- It is suggested that you should charge your phone at least up to 70% to avoid any interruption during installation.
- Also take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card since all the data gets wiped during installation. Follow this procedure to take a backup. For the safe side, you should also backup external media storage. You can use these guides for the same:
- How to Backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS / MMS).
- How to Backup whole ROM / Firomware via Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery
- The most important thing is you need to install custom recovery like clockworkmod recovery(CWM) or TWRP on your mobile. Without any custom recovery, you cannot move ahead. Follow this tutorial to install it.
- Make sure that you have enabled USB debugging option on.
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
- First download Cyanogenmod 10.2 for Galaxy S Plus from official development page. Also you will need to flash Gapps (contains Google apps like Gmail, Google play etc.) separately on mobile afterwards since custom ROM doesn’t contain Google apps.
- Cyanogenmod 10.2 for Samsung Galaxy S Plus.
- GApps for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- After downloading both files, connect your mobile to PC and enable mass storage mode. Copy both files to the external memory on convenient location. Don’t extract them.
- After copying both files, disconnect your phone from PC. Boot it into recovery mode.
- For that first switch off the device and then press volume up + home + power button simultaneously for long time until recovery mode opens. Remember touch won’t work in the CWM recovery. You need to use volume keys for navigation and power button for selection.
- First of all take a nandroid backup of current system which might be required if anything goes wrong. It is done by selecting backup & restore option and then backup. This backup will be stored in the external memory. (This is not mandatory.)
- Now select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data and caches on the phone respectively. (Caution: It will erase all the data from the internal memory.)
- In next steps select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Select Cyanogenmod 10.2 zip file. Confirm it for installation by selecting yes in next step. This is actual flashing of ROM.
- This will take a bit time for installation. In the end you will land into recovery mode again.
- In order to avoid boot loops, wipe data and wipe cache partitions after flashing the ROM file.
- Now repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. But this time choose GApps file for installation.
- In the end select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. First boot will take more time than usual.
That’s it! Your Samsung Galaxy S Plus is now successfully running on Android 4.3 Jelly bean via Cyanogenmod 10.2 custom ROM. Do let us know how it is working for you. If you any doubts regarding the procedure, don’t hesitate to ask. We are always there to help you.
Tip: In case if you don’t like this ROM, you can easily switch back to previous one just by entering into recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode & then select restore & choose your latest backup to restore. And then simply reboot it. Or you can flash official firmware by using Odin tool.