Last year when Samsung released Galaxy S3, it became sensational hit within few days. But due to it’s cost many of us couldn’t bought it. Keeping this thing in mind, Samsung came up with the S3 Mini which is compact version of it’s parent model S3. This Android 4.1 Jelly Bean running device is in the Samsung’s list which will receive Android 4.2. But of course we know that it will take few months for actual implementation. Meanwhile Google has released Android version 4.3 so Samsung might be concentrating on this version rather than 4.2. So you have to wait for Android 4.2 for your device.
There is another way to get this update and that is a custom ROM. And when it comes to Custom ROM, how one can forget Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod (CM) is one of the most famous after market firmware known for its stability and performance. CM10.1 based on Android 4.2 is already available for many devices and finally S3 Mini user can enjoy it on their mobile.
This latest version of CM10.1 is equipped with all the features from Android 4.2 Jelly Bean with enhanced performance. Moreover you will get typical Cyanogemod tweaks along with this ROM. Since this the alpha version of Cyanogenmod, you may find that few things are not working properly. As the developers are working hard on it, soon you will get stable update for your device. If you can tolerate these bugs then you should try this as you can come back if you don’t like it.
So you want to try it on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, follow few simple steps written ahead and enjoy.
The method mentioned ahead for installing a custom ROM is considered as risky may cause damage to your mobile. It is requested for newbie that they should not follow it if they are unaware of this fact. Go through the article completely before acting. We or developers are not responsible for bricked or damaged devices after inculcating these steps.
This Cyanogenmod is compiled only for Samsung galaxy S3 Mini with model number I8190 (Code name Golden). Do not try it on any other mobile. It might lead to some serious problem with device.
Note: Flashing custom ROM voids the warranty. So think before going for it. You can retain it by flashing official firmware.
- Check that your device is charged at least up to 75% so that there will not be any interruption due to low battery.
- You need to install custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) on your mobile. Without any custom recovery you cannot flash custom ROM. Follow this procedure to install the same. (Caution: Don’t try to flash it using stock recovery else it will get bricked.)
- Enable USB debugging in your phone. Follow this path for performing the same.
Setting->Developers option->USB debugging on
- Download Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini from the development page.
- Click here to download.
(Update: Checkout Android 4.4.1 KitKat CM11 for Galaxy S3 Mini I8190)
- Also download GApps which contains Google apps like Gmail, Gtalk, Play store etc. for the Jelly Bean (Android 4.2.2). As Cyanogenmod does not include Google apps you need to flash it separately.(Of course it is optional.)
- Click here to download.
- After downloading both files, connect your mobile to PC via USB cable and enable mass storage mode on. Copy both files to the external memory card on convenient location and do not extract them. Keep it as it is.
- Disconnect mobile from computer and switch it off. Boot your mobile into recovery mode. To do so, press and hold Volume up + Home + Power button simultaneously until you boot into recovery mode. Use volume keys for navigation while power key for selecting options.
- First take a nandroid backup of current systems. For that select backup & restore and then backup. This backup will be saved in external memory card. It might require in future if anything goes wrong (It is not mandatory).
- Now select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition to wipe all the data on phone and clear caches. This will delete all the data on the phone’s internal memory.
- Next select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. A list of files will appear in front of you. Select cm-10-1.zip file for installation. Select yes in next step for confirmation. This will take few minutes for installation.
- In order to avoid boot loops, wipe data and wipe cache partitions after flashing the ROM file.
- Now repeat the above step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. But this time choose GApps file for installation.
- In the last, select +++++go back+++++ and reboot system now. Remember first boot takes more time than usual.
Well done! You have successfully installed Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Share your experience about this custom ROM. If you find any difficulties while installing the ROM ask us through the comments. We will come up with the solution soon.
Tip: In case you want to revert to previous ROM you can easily do it just by entering into Recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode. Then select restore option & choose your latest backup to restore. Even you can flash official firmware to get rid off the custom ROM.
The following two tabs change content below.
Android Passionate. Likes to play with new electronic gadgets. You can follow him on Google+