Android 4.1 Jelly Bean comes with lot of features such as improved notification bar, smart keyboard, offline voice typing, new camera app etc. That’s why everyone wants to run this latest update on their devices. But as you might have heard that Jelly Bean update will not be rolling out for all the Android devices. But being open source to developers, Android can be modded & ported in the form of custom ROM to any other device which isn’t getting JB update. Even if you’ve owned Samsung Infuse 4G, you can upgrade its firmware to Jelly bean via Cyanogenmod. Thanks to XDA senior memberscott.hart.bti who has ported & released Cyanogenmod 10 unofficially for AT&T Infuse 4G. According to him, almost everything is working which works in ICS. Since the ROM is still under development, it might contain some bugs (like GPS, which can be laggy for this particular release) But don’t worry, it will be fixed soon as development goes on.
Follow this guide to install Jelly Bean 4.1.1 via Cyanogenmod 10 on Samsung Infuse 4G i997.
Disclaimer : The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for the same.
Please note that, this update of Cyanogenmod 10 is applicable only for Samsung Infuse 4G bearing model number I997. DON’T try it on any other device, it may cause damage to your phone..
Pre-Requisites before installing Cyanogenmod 10 :
- Charge your device upto 60% battery level so that installation procedure won’t be interrupted.
- You will have to wipe all the data (excluding SD card) before installing this custom ROM update. Therefore it is highly recommended to Backup all your data from phone memory which includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone which can be found out here : “Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging”
Procedure to Update AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G I997 with Cyanogenmod 10 :
- Before proceeding to the actual installation procedure, ensure that your device is running Android 4.0 (ICS) ROM & has custom recovery installed in it. Please don’t proceed further if your phone doesn’t meet above 2 requirements.
- Download latest Cyanogenmod 10 package from the official development page (link is mentioned below) :
- (Optional) Download Google Add-on Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) which need to be flashed manually since they are not present in the ROM by default.
- After downloading CM10 & Google Apps, connect your device to PC. Enable mass storage mode on it. Now copy Cboth the files to your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect it from computer. Boot in recovery mode on your phone. To do so, switch off the phone completely. Press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key together until recovery mode appears (you may release power button after Samsung logo but keep holding other two).
- Take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back (in case if anything goes wrong). To backup your current ROM, select Backupand Restore option from the recovery mode & on next screen, select backup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excluding SD card). Wait for the backup process to get finished.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select “install zip from sdcard” followed by “choose zip from sdcard“. Navigate the ROM file (which you’ve transferred earlier) Select it & press on ‘Yes‘ to continue. ROM installation process will start.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode again.
- (Optional) The same procedure you have to do for installation of Google Apps (Don’t wipe the data again). After you finished installation of Gapps, press back button to go to main menu of CWM.
- Select reboot system now from the recovery mode to Restart the phone.
Congratulations !! You’ve successfully updated your Samsung Infuse 4G with the Jelly Bean based custom ROM (Cyanogenmod 10). Keep visiting the official development page for the latest updates & if you have any issue regarding this procedure, comment it below, we will try our best to sort out the same.
Tip: In case if you want to revert back to your previous ROM , enter into recovery mode (mentioned above), from the main menu, select Backupand Restore option & on next screen, select restore & choose your latest backup to restore.
Latest posts by Viraj Kshatriya (see all)
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat update makes its way to Xperia M via HellKat ROM - February 24, 2014
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update now available for Sony Xperia Ray - February 10, 2014
- Update Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat via Carbon ROM - February 5, 2014