Recently Samsung launched their all new flagship device Galaxy S4. The Galaxy S series was a stepping stone for Samsung. It all began with their first device from series Galaxy S. TheSamsung Galaxy Sis anAndroidsmartphonethat was announced by Samsung in March 2010. It was a massive hit and Samsung never looked back after that.
The device was very popular, the base version of the phone, the GT-I9000, was specialized for each of the U.S. carriers, and released as the Epic 4G, Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate, and Mesmerize. AT&Treleased a variant of this phone under the nameSamsung Captivate.It includes 16GB of internal flash memory, but does not have a front camera, FM radio or LED camera flash.
The last update Samsung Captivate received was Android 2.3 Gingerbread as Samsung didnt release further updates for Galaxy S. But having very good support of developers, the device has got custom ROMs based on latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
A worlds most used custom ROM called Cyanogenmod is now available for Samsung Captivate. So Captivate users can now enjoy all the latest Jelly Bean 4.2.2 features via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Just keep in mind that the ROM is in developments stage so some bugs can be there. But as the updates come they will get fixed.
Article below explains How to flash CM 10.1 on Samsung Caprivate.
Disclaimer:The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this on your phone, if you are unaware of these things. Follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage caused to your device while applying this tutorial, we or CM team won’t be held responsible for it.
This tutorial is strictly intended for Samsung Galaxy Captivate with model numberSGH-i897. Dont implement it on any other mobile or variant to avoid unwanted results.
- Charge your mobile at least up to 70% so that installation process will not get interrupted due to low battery.
- Take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card since it gets wiped during the installation.
- Most important you must have installed custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery on your mobile. Without this you cannot flash any custom ROM.
Procedure to flash Android 4.2.2 on Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 via Cyanogenmod 10.1:
- First download Cyanogenmod 10.1 for Samsung Captivate form official development page.
Click here to download.
- Also download Gapps for Jelly Bean which contains Google apps like Gmail, Gtalk, Play store etc. which are not present in custom ROM.
Click here to download.
- After downloading these files connect phone to computer via USB cable and enable mass storage mode on. Copy both files to the external memory card. Dont extract them.
- Now switch off your mobile and enter into recovery mode. For that press & hold Volume up + Volume down + Power buttonbuttonsimultaneously until mobile vibrates. Recovery mode will appear in front of you.
- First take a nandroid backup by selectingbackup & restoreoption and thenbackupin next step. This is a backup of whole system which will be saved in external memory.
- For wiping the data and clearing the cache partitions, selectwipe data/factory resetand thenwipe cache partitions.
- Next is actual flashing of custom ROM. Selectinstall zip from sdcardfollowed bychoose zip from sdcard. Then selectcm-10.1-20130304-EXPERIMENTAL-captivatemtd-M2.zipfile from the list of files. And confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few time installation of ROM. Again repeat the above step ofinstall zip from sdcardand thenchoose zip form sdcard. This time select Gapps file for installation.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select+++++go back+++++and thenreboot system now.
Tip:If you dont like this ROM or you are not comfortable with this ROM, you can easily return back to the previous ROM just by entering into the recovery mode. Then select backup & restore option followed by restore & chose your latest backup to restore.
Thats it! Your Samsung Captivate is running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM. Do let us know how it is working for you. Ask your difficulties through comments. We will come up with the solution as soon as possible.
The following two tabs change content below.
Residing in Pune (India), Abhijeet is a Tech lover and enthusiast about all-things Android. He is a hardcore PC Gamer and likes to play Football as well.
Follow him on Google+