It was difficult to achieve root on Xperia phones running stock ICS firmwares. But now there is a way out. A simple rooting tool is available for Sony Xperia S, SL, Acros S and ION. The interesting thing about this tool is that it can even root phones with locked bootloader (of course it roots unlocked bootloaders too). Thanks to Chinese developer eroot for bringing out this awesome rooting tool. Currently it is tested on below mentioned phones but I’ve tried it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 & it works on it as well. So there is probability that it will work on other devices too. But I am not sure about it.
Anyways, move on further & follow these simple steps to root your Xperia Smartphone (which was never possible before, so easily)…
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
The following guide is tested & works on these devices: Xperia S / SL / Acro S / ION. It may or may not work on other devices. It is currently tested these firmwares: 6.1.A.2.55, 6.1.A.2.50, 6.1.A.2.45. It should work on other ICS firmwares too.
- Charge your device at least up to 60% battery level.
- USB debugging must be enabled in your device. To do so, use this path
- Settings –> Developer options –> USB debugging
- Enable “Unknown Sources” option in your phone.
Note: This method works on both locked & unlocked bootloaders. So, bootloader isn’t a problem now.
Procedure to Root Sony Xperia S LT26i on Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware:
- Download Appropriate drivers for your Sony Xperia device from the link mentioned below (required for debugging):
- Download Xperia Drivers
- Install the drivers in your PC.
Note: This rooting tool is written in Chinese language but don’t worry just follow the steps written ahead.
- Extract “Eroot1014.zip” (Rooting package). You’ll get ERoot-1.0.14.exe file.
- Run ERoot-1.0.14.exe file.
- Now connect your phone to PC.
- You’ll observe that your device has got detected by Rooting tool.
- Now, simply press “一键Root” button & leave rest upon the tool.
- When it says something like “恭喜您，获取root 权限成功“, it means that your device is rooted now. Isn’t it simple?
Whoa! You’ve successfully rooted your Sony Xperia phone running Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware. Let me know if it works for you or not. Enjoy..
The following two tabs change content below.
Viraj was a former chief editor at Android Legend. He no longer works here. But no worries you can still get in touch with him via his Google+