HTC is very well known for their Android and Windows phones. With launch of One Series and all new Desire devices, HTC have strengthen themselves on high end devices side. But it doesnt mean that they are ignoring low end devices. Back in 2011 HTC launched their economical device, HTC Explorer.
Main advantage of HTC Explorer over other low end devices is that it has got active development. Officially HTC have given it support only up to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) only but developers have ported custom ROMs based on Ice Cream Sandwich and even Jelly Bean also. If you are not satisfied with current performance of your phone and you want something more, you can always go for custom ROMs. Custom ROMs give you the unique Android experience along with several performance improvements.
But you cant flash these custom ROMs directly, you must have flashing tool called custom Recovery installed on your device. A Senior XDA member oblikas ported a very famous custom recovery called TWRP recovery for HTC explorer. Along with flashing custom ROMs, custom recovery will also help you with backing up ROMs and again restoring them, wiping data and cache, fixing permissions etc. Given below are features of TWRP recovery 2.2.2.
- Ability to save custom recovery settings
- Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
- XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout true theming!
- Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
- Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
- Ability to choose to compress backups.
And if you dont want to go for custom ROMs but you wish to have administrative permissions you can root your device. By rooting, along with admin permissions you can use special applications which require root access move your applications to SD card etc. But again before rooting you must have custom recovery installed. Now you are just few steps away from rooting your device. Following article explains how to install TWRP recovery on HTC Explorer and further how to root it.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article is risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only for HTC Explorer having model numberA310E. Trying it on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
- Your phone must be charged at least up to 70% battery level.
- USB debugging mode must be enabled.
- You must have unlocked bootloader of your device. If youve not unlocked you can unlock it from official HTC website htcdev.com/bootloader
- You must have mobile drivers installed on your computer. If you don’t have them download HTC Sync Software to install them.
Procedure to Install TWRP Recovery on HTC Explorer:
- You will also require fastboot files. Here is the link is to download fastboot files for your device.
- Extract Fastboot.zip file in your PC. You will find following four files in your extracted folder.
- Now You need to enter into the bootloader mode. For entering intobootloader mode, turn off your phone first.
- HoldVolume Down + Power Buttonsimultaneously until bootloader mode appears.
- Select Fastboot using Power Button. (Use Volume Up/Down to go up/down & Power Button to select highlighted option).
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the PC.
- Open theFastbootfolder (Which youve extracted earlier).
- Now Open command prompt & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (ORYou can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), youll seeOpen Command window here option.Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Put this command in command prompt:fastboot devices(After entering this command, youll see the random numbers appeared in the command prompt.This is to ensure that your device is properly connected. If it doesnt appear then youneed to installHTC Sync softwareto installessential drivers for your Explorer).
- Transfer/Copy the downloaded image file of recovery to extracted Fastboot folder along with other four fastboot files.
- Now type/enter the following command in command prompt to flash custom TWRP recovery.
fastboot flash recovery boot.img
- As soon as recovery gets flashed, youll getfinished/OKAYmessage on the screen.
- Now you need to reboot your phone. For rebooting, type fastboot reboot command in the same command prompt window.
- Youve now successfully flashed/installed custom TWRP recovery on your HTC Explorer. To enter into TWRPrecovery, do the following steps :
- Enter into the bootloader mode. To enter into bootloader mode, HoldVolume Down + Power Buttonsimultaneously until bootloader mode appears.
- In bootloader mode, highlight recovery by using Volume Keys & Enter into the TWRP recovery by usingPower Key. Youll be landed into custom TWRPRecovery.
How to Root HTC Explorer A310E:
- First you have to download rooting package. Here is link for rooting package.
- Switch off your phone. Boot it into recovery mode. To do so, press & hold Volume down + Power Button simultaneously until bootloader mode opens, further select recovery option in it.
- In recovery use Volume up/Volume down buttons to scroll and Power Button to select.
- Now select install zip from sdcard followed by chose zip from sdcard. Navigate toSuperuser.zip file and then confirm it next step.
- Once installation is complete, you will see recovery menu again.
- After successful flashing rooting package, choose +++++go back+++++ option and then reboot system now. That’s it; you have successfully rooted your HTC Explorer. You can find Superuser application in your menu.
Thats it!! You have successfully rooted and installed TWRP Recovery on your HTC Explorer. Enjoy flashing various custom ROMs and do let us know how it is working for you through comments.