Few months ago Google released Android 4.4 KitKat. One of the best feature of this update is its lightweight. So unlike previous versions lower specs devices can easily run on it. It is rumored that Samsung is testing KitKat on Galaxy S Advance. Of course it will take few months for official update.
By that time you can flash custom ROM. Team Canjica of XDA has compiled Cyanogenmod 11 for Galaxy S Advance. The same team has compiled CM10.1 and CM10.2 for S Advance. The best thing of this ROM is both NFC and non- NFC model can use this ROM. Unfortunately NFC does not work.
This alpha version of Cyanogenmod 11 does have some bugs. Some of them are listed below.
- OMX and Camera
- Magnetic Sensor -> Compass not working properly
- NFC ( GT-I9070P users Only ).
Follow few simple steps to flash Cyanogenmod 11 on Samsung Galaxy S Advance.
The procedure written ahead is a bit risky and may lead to a permanent damage. If you are not familiar with this fact then don’t even think of moving ahead. Before executing any step, read the article carefully. We AndroidLegend.com are not responsible for any misbehavior of your mobile after implementing these steps.
This unofficial build of Cyanogenmod 11 is compiled only for Samsung Galaxy S Advance (both I9070 and I9070P). Do not try it on any other mobile to avoid any damage. Check the model number first.
Settings -> about device -> model number
- Low battery power may interrupt installation and thereby damaging the device. To avoid this, charge it at least up to 70%.
- During the procedure we are wiping all the data from internal memory. So it is better to take a backup of important stuff like SMS, MMS, contacts etc. to the external memory card.
- How to Backup Android Contacts and Text Messages (SMS/MMS).
- How to backup Call logs, APNs and EFS folder from your Android Device.
- In order to flash custom ROM you need custom recovery like Clockworkmod recovery on your mobile. Don’t try to flash it through stock recovery.
- Download two important files for Samsung Galaxy S Advance. First one is latest build of Cyanogenmod 11 from official development page. Also you will require Gapps file which contains Google apps like Gmail, Google now etc.
- Cyanogenmod 11 for Galaxy S Advance
- Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat
- After downloading these files connect mobile to PC via USB cable and copy both files to the external memory card. Do not extract these zip files.
- Disconnect it from PC and switch off the device and subsequently boot into recovery mode. Press volume up + home + power button simultaneously to boot into recovery mode.
- When you boot into recovery mode, first of all take a nandroid backup of the system which might be useful in future if anything goes wrong. Refer this article for taking nandroid backup.
- Now do wipe data/factory reset along with wipe cache partitions to wipe all the data from the internal memory.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard and then select cyanogenmod 11.zip file. Confirm installation in next step.
- It will take few minutes for flashing.
- Execute wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partitions afterwards to avoid boot loops.
- Repeat the step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Select Gapps file for flashing.
- After flashing both files successfully, select +++++go back+++++ and finally reboot system now.
- Remember first boot takes more time than usual.
Well done! Android 4.4 KitKat is now running on your Samsung Galaxy S Advance through Cyanogenmod 11 custom ROM. Share your experience regarding Android 4.4 KitKat. If you came across any doubts, don’t hesitate to share with us. We will try to solve them as early as possible.
Tip: In case if you don’t like this ROM, you can easily switch back to previous one just by entering into recovery mode. Then select the Backup and Restore option from the recovery mode & then select restore & choose your latest backup to restore. And then simply reboot it. Or you can flash official firmware by using Odin tool.
Those who are getting status 7 error or installation aborted error (while flashing the ROM), you need to flash kernel image before flashing the ROM. For more info refer the post here.
Still getting installation aborted error? Well then try this solution.
The following two tabs change content below.
Android Passionate. Likes to play with new electronic gadgets. You can follow him on Google+