Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is already ported for almost all high end devices but now it’s time for devices like Samsung Galaxy Mini. Thanks to XDA Senior Member TheWhisp for bringing out Cyanogenmod 10 (Jelly Bean) for the same. Cyanogenmod 10 offers butter like smooth interface and highly customizable features compared to stock firmwares. Some minor bugs may be there otherwise ROM works fine. You’ll be pleased to hear that active development is still going on for Samsung Galaxy Mini and developers are trying to fix remaining bugs and releasing updates in near future.
Following is the list of non working functions quoted on ROM development page (as on 27 September 12):
1) HQ video playback (need OpenMAX libraries from Qualcomm, unfortunately, they are not going to release them)
2) Native USB tethering
3) Native Wi-Fi tethering
Now we will move towards the actual process of updating Samsung Galaxy Mini to Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.
Disclaimer: The procedure discussed below can be harmful for your device and may result in undesirable outcomes. Don’t go for it if you are unaware of these things. Neither we nor developer should be held responsible for any damage caused to your device. Follow the guide on your own risk
This tutorial is only applicable for Samsung Galaxy Mini having model number GT-s5570. Please don’t follow it for any other device you may get unwanted results.
Pre-Requisites before installing ROM:
- Your phone must be charged up to 70% battery level.
- You must backup all your important data like messages, contact and applications as you will lose it all during procedure.
- Your phone must have Clockworkmod recovery installed before flashing this ROM.
Procedure to Update Samsung Galaxy Mini to Cyanogenmod 10 Jelly Bean custom ROM:
- Download latest release of Cyanogenmod 10 from here (update 15 Dec 2012).
- Since Google Apps are not included in ROM by default, you have to separately download and flash them. Download link is given below.
- Click here to download.
- Once you get zip files of ROM and Google Apps, using USB cable connect your phone to computer and transfer these files to external SD card of your phone.
- Now disconnect your phone from computer and switch it off by long pressing power button. Ensure that your phone is completely switched off. Now boot into Clockworkmod recovery by simultaneously holding Power and Home buttons.
- In recovery select Backup/Restore and on next screen select Backup to take nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can go back to your previous ROM if anything goes wrong (Nandroid backup doesn’t include content from SD card).
- Select wipe data/factory reset & wipe cache partition to factory reset the phone (it won’t touch your SD card).
- Now to install ROM, select choose zip from SD card and then install zip from SD card. Scroll down to the ROM file and confirm it by pressing on Yes. Wait for the installation to finish.
- After installation is finished, press back button to land into the main menu of recovery.
- To install Google Apps, again select choose zip from SD card followed by install zip from SD card, now navigate to GApps package and select it to install.
- After finishing installation of both the files, select reboot system now to restart the phone.
There you go!! Latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is up and running on your Samsung Galaxy Mini. You can now enjoy all the latest features of Jelly Bean like offline voice typing, actionable notifications on your device. Do let us know how it is working for you. Comment below if you have any queries.
The following two tabs change content below.
Shreyas is an author at Android Legend and He is a HTC Lover. You can follow him on Google+