Last year Samsung released Galaxy S3 and within few days it became the most popular mobile among the people. Since this iconic device was little expensive Samsung decided to come up with its cheaper variant called Galaxy S3 mini. As this device is running on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, you might like to upgrade it to Android 4.2 via custom ROM.
As of now very few custom ROMs are available for it, you can expect more in futures. But for that you will need to install a custom recovery. Clockworkmod recovery aka CWM is right now available for Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.
Clockworkmod recovery is not a touch recovery like TWRP recovery. So volume keys are used for navigations in this recovery. This will let you not only to flash custom ROMs but also to perform advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations which arent possible with stock recovery.
So go through the article written ahead to install Clockworkmod recovery on Samsung Galaxy S3 mini.
The procedure mentioned in the further article is considered as risky and can cause damage to your mobile if properly not followed. It is better that you should not attempt these steps if you are not aware of all these things. Read article completely before implementing these steps. We or developers are no responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after inculcating these steps.
This procedure is only applicable to Samsung Galaxy S3 mini with model number I8190 . Applying it to any other model or variant might give you some unwanted results.
- Dont forget to charge your phone at least up to 70% so that process wont get interrupted due to low battery.
- Take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts, memo etc. to the external memory as they get vanished during installation process.
- You must have installed tablet drivers on computer. If you have installed kies on your computer you dont need to install separately.
- First download Clockworkmod recovery (CWM) package for Galaxy S3 Mini from the official development page.
- Click here to download.(v188.8.131.52)
- For flashing this CWM recovery you will need software called Odin v3.07. Download and then install it on computer. It also used for flashing official firmware on mobile or tablets.
- Click here to download. (v3.07)
- After downloading these files and installing Odin software, boot mobile into downloading mode. For that first switch off it and then press volume down + power button + home button simultaneously until you get Downloading message on the screen.
- Next connect your device to computer via USB cable to flash Clockworkmod recovery on it. Open Odin software which you have installed earlier. You will get added!! message in Odins message box means mobile is connected properly. If this doesnt happen check mobile drivers again or re-installed it.
- Click on the PDA button and select recovery.tar file which you have downloaded earlier.
- Ensure that Auto-Reboot and F.Resest Time is checked. Make sure that you havent clicked anywhere else.
- Hit start button to initialize flashing process. This process will take few minutes and dont remove USB cable during installation. Finally mobile gets rebooted automatically means CWM is successfully installed on your mobile. Meanwhile Odins message box will show pass message.
- However, it might happen that due to some reason your phone gets stuck as a result Odin will show fail message. In such cases disconnect mobile from computer, remove and re-insert battery and repeat the process again.
Well done!! Clockworkmod recovery is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8190. Henceforth you can flash any custom ROM on your mobile. If you have any queries regarding article, tell us through comments. We will try our level best to solve them.
Note: Do not wipe data or cache partitions in the recovery mode. This will wipe data from your phone permanently.
Tip: To enter into recovery mode, first switch off the mobile, then press & hold volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until recovery mode opens. For taking nandroid backup select backup & restore option and then select backup.
The following two tabs change content below.
Android Passionate. Likes to play with new electronic gadgets. You can follow him on Google+