Want to install Custom ROMs on your brand new Nexus 7 Tab ? but before installing a custom ROM, you need to have Custom Recovery installed on your tablet & there is none other famous recovery than Clockworkmod. We have made this tutorial which will guide you to install/flash custom clockworkmod recovery on your Nexus 7.
Disclaimer: The Procedure described in this article are risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt this if you are not aware of these things. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this tutorial, we should not be held responsible for it.
Please note that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with Google Nexus 7 (ASUS Tablet). Please dont try it on any other device/tablet or it may result in hard bricked phone/tab.
Procedure To Install Custom Recovery (CWM) on Google Nexus 7 :
- In order to install clockworkmod recovery, your tab must have unlocked bootloader. If you’ve not rooted & unlocked bootloader yet, Follow the guide mentioned in the link below to do the same:
Guide to Root & Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 7 (Official Development Page of Nexus Root Toolkit)
- Download Clockworkmod Recovery image package from the official development page (Preferably choose Touch version. It will be easy to use). OR You can flash the same by using ROM Manager which is available in Google Play Store
- Clockworkmod Recovery Package for Nexus 7.
- Download fastboot files which will be required for the CWM Installation (link is mentioned below).
- Fastboot Files
- Extract the fastboot files, you’ll find 4 files in extracted folder. Now copy clockworkmod package file (****.img file) in the same folder. Now the folder will contain total 5 files.
- Open ES File Explorer File Manager on your tab, press Menu button, select Settings. In Settings select ‘Up to Root‘ & ‘Root Explorer‘ options (if prompted for root access, press on ‘Yes‘). Now scroll down & tick on ‘Mount File System Option‘. Once all the 3 options are selected, press back button to exit Settings.
- Now scroll up to navigate ‘/’ sign. Press it. Now select ‘System‘ folder. In System folder press & hold on ‘recovery-from-boot.p‘ file. Select delete option to remove the file. (If the file is not present over there, proceed to next step directly).
- On your tab, open Settings -> Developer Options. Click the button present on the top to turn on developer options & then tick on USB Debugging option to enable it.
- Now connect Nexus 7 to the PC. Wait for the driver installation to finish (If you’re connecting for the first time).
- Open the Fastboot folder where you’ve extracted fastboot files & transferred CWM image file.
- Run command prompt from your computer & Point its directory to the fastboot folder (OR You can do the same as: open Fastboot folder, Press & hold shift key and then right click on the free space in the same folder.When right clicked (holding shift), you’ll see ‘Open Command window here‘ option.Click it & Command prompt will be open pointing to the Fastboot directory).
- Now Enter the following 2 commands :
adb reboot bootloader (your tab will be rebooted in fastboot mode by using this command).
fastboot flash recovery ***.img (Replace *** with the name of CWM package file, in my case it is recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-grouper.img)
- After entering above commands, CWM will be flashed & you’ll get OK/finished message in command prompt.
- Now type fastboot reboot command in command prompt to reboot Nexus 7.
- To check if CWM is installed properly, switch off the tab, press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Key simultaneously. You’ll see that CWM has overwritten Stock recovery.
You’ve successfully installed Custom recovery (CWM) on your Nexus which will let you install custom ROMs & hacks made for your device. If you need a help, comment it below. We will try to sort out the same..