Leaked Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update UVDLI8 is recently released for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 & now a custom ROM called BlackJelly has come out based on the same update. As the name BlackJelly itself suggests, it has black colored theme. Courtesy to XDA Recognized Developer graffixnyc for rolling out the ROM.As far as features of this ROM are considered, it is pre-rooted and deodexed, has extended power menu, AOSPring-tones along with removed bloatwares.
Since the ROM is based on leaked Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update, there may be few bugs present in it and some things may not work properly.If you face any issue regarding screen flickering, tick disable HW overlays in developer options.
Read on further to learn how you can update your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 with BlackJelly custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The steps given in this article are considered to be risky & can cause damage to your device. You should not try to attempt these things if you are unaware of it. Please follow this guide completely at your own risk. If any damage happened to your device while following this guide, neither we nor developer should be held responsible for it.
This guide is applicable only for T-MobileGalaxy S3 having model number SGH-T999. Trying it on other variants of Galaxy S3 or on any other device, can cause damage to your phone.
- Charge your phone up to 70% battery level so that the installation will proceed without any interruption.
- Don’t forget to backup your all important data from the phone memory such as contacts, SMS/MMS, call log etc. since all these things will get erase during the installation.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
(Important)For flashing this ROM, your phone must have custom recovery likeClockworkmod or TWRPinstalled on it. If you don’t have one, follow this guide.
Procedure to Upgrade T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 with BlackJelly ROM based on T999UVDLI8 firmware:
- As Google Apps are not pre-installed in this ROM, you have to flash them manually. Download Gapps from the link given below.
Google Apps(for Jelly Bean based custom ROMs)
- Once you download these files connect your phone to PC and transfer those files to external SD card and do not extract them.
- Disconnect the phone from computer. Now boot into the recovery mode. To do so, turn off the phone completely (until it vibrates). Press & holdVolume Up + Home button + Power Keytogether until recovery mode appears (you can release power button after Samsung logo appears but keep holding other two until you are in recovery mode).
- Once you are in recovery mode, first thing you need to do is take a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case if anything goes wrong. To backup your current ROM, selectBackup and Restoreoption from the recovery menu & on next screen, selectbackup. Now It will make a nandroid backup of your whole system (excludingSD card). Wait until thebackup processto get finished.
- Selectwipe data/factory reset&wipe cache partitionto wipe all the data & caches from the phone memory respectively.
- Now Select install zip from sdcard & then choose zip from sdcard. Select the ROM file from the location where youve copied it earlier & selecting on Yes, confirm the installation.
- Wait for the ROM to get installed. After ROM gets successfully installed, your phone will land in the recovery mode.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time navigate togapps-jb-20120726-signed.zipfile. Press on Yesto installGoogle Apps.
- After flashing both the files, Selectreboot system nowto restart the phone.
Note:If you want to go back to your previous ROM, you can do so by entering into the recovery mode. In recovery, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now select the backup you want to restore.
Congratulations!!! Now your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 is running BlackJelly custom ROM. Visit source page for latest information and updates. And do let us know how the ROM is working for you.
The following two tabs change content below.
Shreyas is an author at Android Legend and He is a HTC Lover. You can follow him on Google+