While Apple fans get to grips with the newly-released iOS7, Android users are eagerly waiting for Android 4.4. As all the Android versions are named after desserts, Android 4.4 will be known as Kit Kat. Though Google hasn’t released it yet, the images of Android 4.4 are already leaked on the internet. Few noticeable changes as compared to its previous Android 4.3 Kit Kat are mentioned below.
We have seen earlier that many handsets are stuck to Android 2.3 because stern requirements made by subsequent updates. You might have observed Jelly Bean version of Android a bit lags on your mobile despite having decent features. But unlike its predecessor, Android 4.4 Kit Kat is rumored to have lower specification demands and therefore older mobiles and tablets that have missed updates beyond Android 4.0 will able to upgrade it to Kit Kat. Of course it’s down to manufacturers to actually release this update or not.
We are always concern about battery of our mobile and it is well-spread that Android 4.3 seeks more battery. But now it looks like Google is seriously looking into this matter. The latest version of Android is supposed to make better use battery and thereby increasing the battery life. Google is working hardly to make Android more efficient and less-power hungry.
During the transition from portrait mode to landscape mode, we feel little jerk or lag in transition. Of course this effect is more significant in low end mobiles. Being a light version, Android 4.4 will offer a smoother screen orientation than its predecessors. Although it seems to be a minor improvement, it will enrich the overall experience especially for the older devices.
In terms of UI, Google has done a whole lot of changes taking Android to another high level. After the release of iOS 7, it is expected that will do some remarkable changes in UI. The leaked images of Android 4.4 Kit Kat show the glimpse of its UI. Some notable modifications are mentioned below.
- Notification bar: The notifications bar features white colour instead of classic bluish colour scheme in Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The size and looks of icons in notification bar remains the same. Moreover it is no longer black. Now it is transparent stretching wallpaper to the full screen size.
- App drawer: Some app icons such as Google Settings, Voice search and You Tube have been changed and the new apps like Quick office is added to Android 4.4. And above all it has a transparent background unlike the black in previous version.
- Control bar: Like the notification bar, control bar in Nexus 5 is also no longer black and is transparent with white icons for the navigations.
- Camera icon: Google has added camera icon to the lower right corner of lock screen so that we can access it more easily.
- Clock and Stopwatch: Another noticeable change in its UI is alarm clock in top left corner, which was previously at the bottom in Jelly Bean. While stop watch icon is modified a bit which looks much better than previous one.
Along with Android 4.4 Kit Kat, Google is releasing next version Google Play app store. The leaked screenshots suggest that it will feature a new sliding menu layout.
After the acquisition of Quick office few months ago, the latest version of Android will feature Quick office app pre-installed in it.
So in short Google has changed a lot in its new version of Android 4.4 Kit Kat. But of course we have to wait until 1st of November for Google to officially release this version along with next generation of Nexus – Nexus 5.