Samsung Galaxy W is released way behind in October 2011. This device running on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread has never received any official update despite having better processor and other configurations. Unlike its big brother Galaxy S2, its android development is also little slow.
But the good thing is that many ROMs have already compiled for it. One the most famous Cyanogenmod is also available for this. Cyanogenmod 10.1 is based on the latest Android version Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. You will get the pure AOSP feel in this custom ROM.
So now you can upgrade your phone unofficially using this custom ROM. Most of the features are working properly and the reset of the things will be fixed soon. Moreover this ROM is much stable than the other ones. So no issue of serious bugs.
Just follow the few simple steps written ahead and install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy W via Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The procedure mentioned ahead is considered as risky and may cause damage to your mobile if not properly followed. It is requested that you should not follow them if you are not aware of all these things. Read article completely and follow all the steps completely at your own risk. We or developers are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after implementing these steps.
This Cyanogenmod is compatible for Samsung Galaxy W I8150 only. Flashing it on any other mobile or variant might give you some unwanted results.
- Before proceeding further ensure that mobile is charged at least up to 70% so that installation wont get interrupted.
- Since all the data gets wiped during installation, it recommended that you should take a backup of all your personal important data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory card.
- Enable USB Debugging option in your phone.
- Most important!! You must have installed Clockworkmod recovery or TWRP recovery to flash any custom ROM.
Procedure to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy W I8150:
- First download Cyanogenmod 10.1 zip file for Galaxy W from official development page. Also download Gapps for Jelly Bean. As Google apps are not present in custom ROM, you need to flash them separately after flashing the ROM.
- After downloading these files connect mobile to PC via USB cable. Copy both files to the external memory card. Dont extract them.
- Now switch off your mobile and put it into recovery mode. For that press volume up + power button + home button simultaneously until recovery mode opens.
- First of all take a nandroid backup of the current system. Select backup & restore option and then backup. This will take a nandroid backup which will be saved in the external memory. (This step is not mandatory.)
- Wipe all the data on the phone and cache partitions by selecting wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partitions. (Before executing this step ensure that you have taken backup of all the data.)
- Now you are ready for flashing the ROM. Select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to Cyanogenmod 10.1 zip file and confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- This will take few minutes for installation. And after that repeat the same step of install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. But this time choose Gapps file for installation.
- After successful flashing of both the files, again wipe data and wipe cache partitions in order to avoid boot loops.
- In the end, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now. (Note: First boot takes more time than usual.)
Nice work!! Your Samsung Galaxy W is now running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean via Cyanogenmod 10.1 custom ROM. Do let us know how it is working. You can ask your queries regarding article through comments. We will come up with solution as soon as possible.
Tip: In any case if you want to revert back to previous ROM, then it is possible to do so if you have nandroid backup. Switch off the mobile and boot into recovery mode, select backup & restore option, select restore and chose latest backup to restore.
Latest posts by Sanket Bhurke (see all)
- Blimps- Floating Dialer- Multitask while in a phone calls - March 11, 2014
- Install Nokia X Launcher on Any Android Device - March 10, 2014
- Carbon ROM for Galaxy Ace 2 I8160: Android 4.4.2 KitKat - February 28, 2014