With the release of Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean in November 2012, developers started the compiling ROMs based on this version for different mobiles and tablets. As a result of which custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod 10.1, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, Slim Bean ROM etc. are released for premium devices like Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, S2, Note 2 etc.
And now this Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is arrived for Samsung Galaxy W through rootbox custom ROM. Almost all the features from Android 4.2.1 like photosphere, gesture typing etc. are incorporated in this custom ROM. Since this ROM is in alpha state you might come across few bugs.
- Mass Storage
As developers are working on this ROM, hopefully they will come up with more stable build very soon. By that time follow few simple steps written ahead and update Galaxy W with Android 4.2.1 through Rootbox custom ROM.
Disclaimer: The few steps in the following article are considered as risky and can cause damage to your phone. It is requested for the newbies that you should not go for it if you are not aware of all these things. Read the article completely before implementing steps to the mobile. We or developers are not responsible for any damage cause to your mobile after applying these steps.
This Rootbox ROM is compatible only for Samsung Galaxy Wonder (W) with model number I8150. Don’t try to flash it on any other mobile else you will get some undesired results.
- Make sure that mobile is charged at least up to 70% so that process wont get interrupted due to low battery.
- Dont forget to take a backup of all your important personal data like SMS, MMS, APN, contacts etc. to the external memory since all data gets deleted during the process.
- In order to flash any custom ROM on mobile, you must have installed custom recovery like CWM or TWRP on your mobile. Without this recovery you cannot flash the custom rom.
Procedure to install Android 4.2 via Rootbox ROM on Samsung Galaxy W:
- First download Rootbox ROM for Galaxy W from official development page and Gapps package which contains Google apps like Gmail, play store, maps etc. for Jelly Bean on your computer. Since Google apps are not present in custom ROM, you need to flash them separately.
- After downloading both files on computer, connect mobile to computer via USB cable and enable mass storage mode on.
- Copy both files to the external memory in new folder. Dont extract them.
- Then disconnect phone from computer and switched it off. Boot it into recovery mode by pressing & holding volume up + power button +home button simultaneously. Keep the buttons pressing until recovery mode opens.
- First take a nandroid backup of the current system, which might require in future if something goes wrong. For that select backup & restore option and then backup. This nandroid backup will be saved in external memory. (This step is not mandatory.)
- Now to clear phone data and cache memory, select wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache partition.
- Next is actual flashing of ROM. Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Choose Rootbox.zip file for flashing and confirm it by selecting yes in next step.
- It will take few minutes for flashing the ROM. In the end you will land in recovery menu again. Now repeat the same step of install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard for Gapps package.
- After successful flashing of both the files, select +++++go back+++++ and then reboot system now.
Fantastic! Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is now running on your Samsung Galaxy W through Rootbox ROM. Dont forget to share your views about this ROM. Convey your doubts about the procedure through comments.
Tip: In any case if you want to revert to previous ROM or firmware then it is possible to do so only if you have nandroid backup. In that case boot mobile into recovery mode, select backup & restore option and chose latest backup to restore.
Latest posts by Sanket Bhurke (see all)
- Blimps- Floating Dialer- Multitask while in a phone calls - March 11, 2014
- Install Nokia X Launcher on Any Android Device - March 10, 2014
- Carbon ROM for Galaxy Ace 2 I8160: Android 4.4.2 KitKat - February 28, 2014