ASUS is often fast to update their tablets. After the release of Android 4.1, ASUS quickly brought the Jelly Beangoodness to most of their tabs including ASUS Padfone 2 & ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. Now Android 4.2 is out & has hit the Google Nexus devices & tabs. No doubt that ASUS will also provide an update for their tabs soon. But before they can provide an official Android 4.2 OTA update for Transformer Pad Infinity tab, Cyanogenmod 10.1 is ready to furnish your tab with a new flavor of Jelly Bean.
CM10.1 is an AOSP based custom ROM that provides a pure Android experience right on your ASUS tab. It adds the whole new Android 4.2 plus its own customization functionality. Being AOSP based, Cyanogenmod 10.1 does have all the features of stock Android 4.2 that includes multiuser interface for tablets (separate login for each person), daydream, photosphere camera, expandable & actionable notifications, buttery smooth & much better interface than Android 4.1, wireless display, smarter keyboard with gesture typing etc. Along with these features Cyanogenmod also offers some of its own customizations.
But you should be aware that, after installing CM10.1, warranty of your device will get void (it can be retained by flashing any official firmware though).
Move on further to know how to upgrade your ASUS tab to Android 4.2.1 via Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended for advanced users. If you are a beginner, follow each & every step carefully at your own risk. Performing this procedure may harm your device. We or the Cyanogenmod team won’t be held liable for any damage caused to your device while attempting these steps.
The guide is compatible only & only with ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. Implementing it on any other device or variant of the same may result in permanent hardware failure of the device.
- Charge your tablet up to 75% battery level so that ROM installation won’t be interrupted.
- Enable / Tick ‘USB Debugging’ option in your tab.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory (includes contacts, messages (SMS/MMS), call logs, Internet APNs etc.). Data from internal storage will get lost after installation of this ROM (excluding External storage).
Procedure to Upgrade ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T with Cyanogenmod 10.1 Custom ROM (Android 4.2.1):
- Before proceeding further, ensure that your ASUS tab has unlocked bootloader. If you’ve not done it already follow thisguidegiven at XDA.
- In order to flash custom ROM, you need to have custom recovery like Clockworkmod installed on your tablet (You can use TWRP recovery either. However, this guide will cover the instructions required for Clockworkmod Recovery only).
Note:If you’re coming from any other custom ROM, you can directly proceed to further installation by skipping above steps.
- Download Google Apps (Gmail, Maps, GTalk, Play Store etc.) from the link given below.
- Google Apps for Jelly Bean
- After downloading ROM package & Google Apps,connect your tab to PC and transfer both files to its internal SD card & transfer both the files on the root directory of it.
- Disconnect the tab from computer. Now boot it into the recovery mode. To do so, turn off the tab completely. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button until a few lines of white text appear in the upper-left corner of the screen. Then, within few seconds, press Volume Up button to boot into recovery.
- After getting into the recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current ROM so that it can be restored back in case of failure. To do so, Highlight backup and restore option in the recovery menu, select it & then choose backup to start the backup process.
- Select wipe data/factory reset & thenceforth wipe cache partition to wipe the data & caches respectively from the internal memory. (Caution! performing this step will erase all the data from internal memory, which includes sms/mms, contacts, reminders, APNs, call logs, apps etc. therefore ensure that youve taken backup of all these things before).
- Now select install zip from sdcard & then on next screen select, choose zip from sdcard. It will show you the files & folders located on the SD card of your device. Navigate to the ROM file, select it using power button (unless youre using touch CWM) & confirm the installation by pressing on Yes. This should start installing the ROM.
- Again select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard & this time browse for Google apps package file (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip). Press on Yes to install confirm Google Apps installation.
- After you finish flashing all the files, Select “reboot system now” to Restart the tab.
Tip: You can restore back your previous ROM using CMW’s restore feature. To restore the previous ROM, boot into the recovery mode, selectBackup and Restoreoption & on next screen, selectrestore.Now choose the backup you like to restore (or the restore the backup you’ve made before flashing this ROM).
Congratulations!! Android 4.2.1 based Custom ROM Cyanogenmod 10.1 (CM10.1) is now up and running on your ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. Let us know if you’ve any problems, we’ll try our best to sort out them. And lastly don’t forget to check get.cm page (Official Download Page) for latest updates & bug fixes. Enjoy..
The following two tabs change content below.
Hello everyone, I'm Viraj, the chief editor at Android Legend. When I'm not checking out the latest stuff happening in Android, I mostly spend my time flashing different ROMs, testing Android apps & games. Feel free to join me on Google+